Wednesday, October 19, 2011

In Search of

While watching the video, the thing that I found most interesting was that Netflix used the “Filter Bubble”. It rarely hinders my online searches, but in Netflix, it always gives me the wrong movies. This is because the filter bubble is tailored to my little sister (who uses netflix like it is going out of style), so animated movies about princesses and puppies have found home on our Netflix Queue.

Because I am most familiar to Google, I typed in “Search Engines without filter bubbles” into the search box, and the only search engine that came up was Duckduckgo.com. On the bottom of the wedsite, it advertises “We don’t bubble or track you!” So I typed in “Shakespeare” the first thing to come up read “Shakespeare was a playwrite” then the second was “Shakespeare, New Mexico, United States” I can already tell that this is different than Google. I clicked on http://www.biography.com/people/william-shakespeare-9480323 which was supposedly a biography of Shakespeare’s life.

No comments:

Post a Comment