Tuesday, October 18, 2011

To Facebook or Not to Facebook..

I remember the beginning of my interest in online social media; it sprung in junior high when all of my friends were on Myspace. My parents did not allow me to be apart of the online community until I grew to a mature age where I could handle it. Well, it is now 2011, and Myspace is ancient history. Facebook currently holds the interest of my peers, and as an initial impression I realized that it was more invasive as well as convenient (disregarding uploading pictures) than Myspace. From the beginning it was obvious to me that it was a great tool to gather information, and those companies were able to collect this information from the masses. The benefits of this tool, is to better market products; and at the same time making the advertising world way more fast pace. Risks are the obvious privacy issues which seems a bit shady, considering many people are unaware of how much information they are giving away.  After discussing the article “Why Facebook is After Your Kids” by EMILY BAZELON, I was informed by my teacher that an elementary computer wiz can track your exact longitude and latitude simply after you uploaded a picture.

1 comment:

  1. Before I came to States, I used Korean "online community" called "Cyworld". After I moved into States, I started using Myspace because most of the friends that I made when I came were using Myspace. But by the time I became 7th grade, I changed to Facebook. I like Facebook, better than Myspace now, but sometimes I don't like Facebook when it comes to "drama". Other than that, it helps me connected with people across the sea and friends who I don't see that often. So on this "To Facebook or Not to Facebook", I would say, hmm, both! But just be careful with information going out to strangers :)
    -Yun Joo

    ReplyDelete